TITLE OF SESSION
Purposeful Networking - How to Make Your Future Groovy
1. Learn how to assess individual career goals and develop a personal career networking document which is then used as a road map that aids the individual and others in helping them to achieve their career objectives
2. Learn how to assess individual career goals and develop a personal career networking planning document which is then used as a road map that aids the individual and others in helping them to achieve their career objectives.
3. Acquire new methods and concepts for connecting with new networking opportunities which can then be leveraged to expand an individual's career opportunities.
As a Professor and HR Consultant one of the things I enjoy doing the most is helping individuals discover their true potential and getting them to realize that there is a better way to manage our career journey. I believe in what I call purposeful networking where we should be striving for true personal satisfaction in our working lives.
The purpose of this session is quite simple: to help you target the career you want by creating a map that will help get you there. I'll share with you how it has worked for me and point you to resources that will help you design a map of your own. Or, if you are where you want to be, then this is a tool that you can use with your employees or people whom you are advising.
During our session you will:
Learn how to assess individual career goals and develop a personal career networking document which is then used as a road map that aids the individual and others in helping them to achieve their career objectives.
Discover ways to assess an individual's strengths and how to better communicate those strengths to networking partners so that they can help match an individual to career opportunities.
Acquire new methods and concepts for connecting with new networking opportunities which can then be leveraged to expand an individual's career opportunities.
By the end of our session you will:
- Understand what core competencies are and how to match them to an individual's career objectives.
- Find ways to help others (and yourself) to identify target positions that are in alignment with their core competencies.
- Learn how to improve search methods to discover companies and markets that are in alignment with your career goals.
- By the end of the session you will have a solid start on your own Career Networking Planning Document and have an opportunity to identify leads of your own that can assist you in achieving your career goals.
Tom is employed by the University of Cincinnati as an Assistant Professor - Educator in their Organizational Leadership/Human Resource Management Program. A 1990 UC MALER graduate of with over 30 years of experience, Thomas Mobley, SPHR is a respected expert in the HR field. As a Human Resource Consultant and University Professor he has demonstrated his ability to transfer knowledge and provide others with the tools they need to succeed. In Mobley Human Resource Consulting Tom has combined his corporate and teaching experience to create workshops and presentations that are both practical and effective. His HR Certification Prep Course has had several sessions where 100% of those who took the course passed their test. He was honored to be recognized as one of three finalists for Miami University's 2013/14 Distinguished Teaching Award.
Tom's broad background includes work with Fortune 100 firms, government agencies, start-ups, and international companies. His expertise has been sought out and included in articles in USA Today, CNBC, MSNBC, and Dow Jones' MarketWatch. In addition to being part of the faculty at the University of Cincinnati, Tom is a past State Council Director for the Ohio State Council of SHRM and has served on the SHRM Board of Director's Membership Advisory Council Representative for SHRM's North Central Region. In 2011, he co-founded GETDOT Cincy - a non-profit professional networking group which aids its members and has raised over $15,000 for local children's charities.
He has been to South Korea and China (three times in the last three years) to teach Human Resource Management and Negotiation Courses for the International MBA and Graduate School for Dalian University of Technology (ranked in the top 10 for MBA programs in China). While there he has also worked with international organizations like HP, Accenture, SK and FESCO.