TITLE OF SESSION
Stupid Things Leaders Do, and How You Can Use Neuroscience To Change Their Behavior...and Peace and Love, Too!
1. Understand why traditional knowledge-based Leadership training fails to create change (and what works better)
2. Review the linkages between Leadership Behavior and Organizational Outcomes
3. Explore the neuroscientific grounding for the mind-body connection and how it shows up in Leadership Competency and Presence
4. Explain how Neuroscience, Physics, and Chemistry explain and impact varying levels of Employee Engagement
5. Improve the way they coach, using the Body/Brain connection and the Cue/Reward cycle to change Leadership behavior in self and others
Scene: You witness a leader in action. You are aghast. You send them to training. They do it again and you sit down for heart-to-heart coaching where they say, "Yes, that was stupid. I promise it won't happen again." Until it does. And you wonder, "Why!?" Because Habit. We think of Leadership as knowledge base, but it's a complex network of information, synapses, neurons, and chemistry that drive behavior in leaders and their downstream. It's not enough to know; you must also practice the emotional and physical space of Leadership to engage people. In this hands-on session we will review findings from neuroscience that affect Leaders and their teams across all functions/sectors; use case studies to understand how to leverage the Cue/Reward cycle and the Body/Brain connection to change behavior; then work in groups to apply the ideas to real world examples.
Jim Smith, SPHR, SHRM-SCP, PCC is an executive coach, international speaker, author, and change strategist. Jim's passion is to create a Happier world and workplace, one Leader at a Time. Jim spent 20+ years as a corporate executive in human resources sales, marketing, finance and operations. He has coached leaders from 27 countries and 6 continents to achieve greater leadership effectiveness and balance. Jim holds a Professional Certified Coach designation through the International Coach Federation, as well as Senior HR certifications from HRCI and SHRM. He is a founder and past president of the ICF Cleveland Chapter and past two-term president of Cleveland SHRM, in addition to teaching at Baldwin Wallace University in their MBA-Human Resources program. Jim is the author of several books on Happiness, Leadership, and Coaching, and has touched the lives of over 16,000 people through his work on happiness and positive emotion at work. Finally, Jim worships Dark Coffee, Dark Beer, and Dark Chocolate, and deeply believes that, "Happiness is a decision, not an event."